{EAV:7c2f2558908d5dce} MECA Car Services South-West: Jennifer is currently out of the office......Climbing Kilimanjaro!

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Jennifer is currently out of the office......Climbing Kilimanjaro!

I've not been updating my Blog recently....I've been busy! How so? Well, just in case you haven't guessed it from my the title, I am about to embark on the biggest challenge of my life, climbing Kilimanjaro in aid of SPARKS (Childrens Medical Research) Charity.



I've previously written about my reasons for deciding to complete this challenge (which you can read here: Kili Blog and here Kili Support Page ). So, having just finished packing (you don't want to know!), I am now taking time to reflect on recent weeks and the fantastic support I have received from my friends, family, my team at MECA, local sport and business sponsors, and of course my lovely customers and suppliers - all who have been brilliant!

My main sponsors are these lovely people, who I will also be thanking in my own unique way through little personal messages I've had printed on my clothing (thanks you Quick Print)....there'll be a different one each day of my climb. You'll have to keep checking in on my Blog or get the local Express and Echo paper to see the story unfold :0)






This is the penaltimate day before we set off. I meet my fellow South West Team members at my garage at 11.00am tomorrow morning, then head to Heathrow in our Team Kili minibus to join the rest of our team, before flying out to Nairobi that evening. I am thinking about each team member right now, the individual and joint support they have given me, how they must feeling right now, and the experience we are about to share together. I love these guys. You can read more about them all here Express and Echo article .

Technology willing, I plan to update my Blog as much as possible throughout the actual 6-day climb. There are several routes by which to climb Kilil, namely Marangu, Rongai, Lemosho, Shira, Umbwe and Machame.  Our ascent will follow the Rongai route, lasting 4.5 days. The last element of this climb is at night, in the snow with just headlamps, in around -15C conditions. Hopefully though, we'll reach Kili's summit in time for sunrise. For the decent we follow the Marangu route which allows us the chance to see a different part of Kilimanjaro, albeit at an incredible 1.5 day pace. I have been reliably informed the locals wait at the bottom with cases of beer to sell.......let me assure you that this image will be in my head and the only thing keeping me going as we descend! ;)Now, back to reality of today and to my wonderful partner, Paul, who has been so supportive whilst I've trained and prepared for this challenge - and reached stress levels I didn't think were possible to reach! My love and time until we leave is now totally devoted to him.

Oh....apart from the boiler to fix that broke down today, else it's a cold shower for me in the morning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment